Tuesday 3 June 2014

Green for go...

The greenhouse is now up and running with all the Chilligrows and Quadgrows planted up. It's looking suspiciously neat at the moment, a sitiuation which I doubt will last.

The greenhouse now looks settled in the garden.  Once they become established the poppies will help to hide the galvanised base. 
Looking neat at the moment. 2 Quadgrows, 2 Chilligrows and some Root pouches
The tomato plants that I put in a couple of weeks ago are looking amazing and I've started pinching out side shoots.  Likewise, the Scotch Bonnet in the second Quadgrow has got so big I've had to pinch out the top to prevent it getting too leggy.

The tomatoes in the Quadgrow are looking fantastic.  The sorry looking chillies in the front are the overwintered plants that are a bit slow off the mark.
 The Chilligrows are planted with the plants I bought from Dundry Nursuries recently (having killed most of my seedlings in a misguided 'aphid-scorched-earth attack).  The surviving seedlings are on the potting bench and slowly recovering but I'm not expecting much fruit from these slow-growing varieties.

The tomatoes are for my father-in-law, the Chilligrows contain freshly planted Habaneros.
In an effort to further automate my greenhouse I've invested in a drip-feed watering system from Greenhouse Sensation. The watering tube has holes every 30cm and is fed from a 25 litre reservoir which I can add liquid fertiliser to. I've bought enough connectors and pipe to feed dozens of plants but for now it's just being used on the overwintered chillies.  The Friar's Hat is looking great but the others are a bit slow taking off.  They all have small leaves forming so hopefully a little sunshine and feed and they'll burst into life.

New drip-feed system for the overwintered plants in the Root Pouches.
At least one of the gutters has now been plumbed into the water butt.
I intend to use more of the drip-feed pipe to route the overflow from the water butt into the fern garden. This will not only prevent the rainwater from flooding the greenhouse but also also keep the damp-loving ferns and hostas happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment