Sunday 8 January 2012

New year, new chillies

Well despite it being January, the Pimientos de Padron are still producing flowers and even a few fruit.
Strictly speaking I shouldn't be encouraging the plants to fruit this early in the season, they should be putting their efforts into growing.  However, the novelty of having fresh chillies in the middle of winter is quite appealing. I'll probably leave one or two of the larger plants to flower and pinch out the flowers on the others to help them put on some more greenery.


Speaking of the Padron chillies, the initial fruit which I picked at Christmas has been fried and eaten and, somewhat surprising, all four of them were hot.  We'll see how future ones perform. Hopefully I'll have enough plants on the go that I'll be able to crop a healthy amount in one go, a dozen chillies would seem like an average tapa for a couple of people. I've got my eye on a small growhouse so I can move the plants outside as soon as the last frosts are gone and there they can make the most of the somewhat limited sunshine in the back garden.

Yet more seeds are germinating on top of the aquarium at the moment, with the very first sign of green peeping through on the Cyklon seeds a mere 6 days after planting.  I knew that the aquarium propagator was quick - most previous batches have show through after 8 days - but this is the fastest so far. It's just as well that I'm back in work tomorrow, I'm running out of space again so I'll be able to move some of the more established plants back into the reception there and free up some more windowsill space.

No comments:

Post a Comment